Why don't we have bridge from polygon to polygon zkevm?

Hey Devs,

I was wondering, why there’s no bridge from polygon to polygon zkevm. What’s the motivation behind supporting a bridge from only Ethereum to Zkevm?

2 Likes

I suppose that one of the reason is to attrack money from Etherium instead of Polygon

Both Polygon PoS and Polygon zkEVM ultimately settle to Ethereum, as such there is no “native” connection between the 2 chains without passing through Ethereum first.

There are various 3rd party bridging solutions such as Multichain, Layerswap and Orbiter (to name a few) that offer direct bridging between PoS and zkEVM.

4 Likes

Hmm, this make sense thank you!

Actually there will a be a bring from all chains as well any approved coin’s. There is a use case that is being tested by a blockchain architect but will not be fully rolled out until fully tested as the amount of people on the blockchains has increased and we want to make sure that doesn’t alter any of the of the bridges on a negative level.

3 Likes

Ethereum is one of the most widely adopted and established blockchain networks, known for its strong ecosystem and developer community. By providing a bridge specifically from Ethereum to Zkevm, developers can leverage the existing tools, infrastructure, and familiarity of the Ethereum ecosystem while exploring the capabilities of Zkevm. This compatibility and interoperability with Ethereum can simplify the development process and promote adoption.

2 Likes

I’ve been curious about the bridge setup between different ecosystems and wanted to discuss the decision to support a bridge from Ethereum to Zkevm (zkEVM) while not having a bridge from one Polygon to another. I’m wondering what the rationale is behind this choice and what motivated the decision to prioritize the Ethereum to Zkevm bridge. Is there a specific technical advantage, strategic reasoning, or ecosystem development focus that led to this decision?

I believe this has been answered above.
I am also linking to the blog post that presents the architecture of the Polygon 2.0 which is a great resource in understanding how the network will look going forward and how the bridging between them will work.

2 Likes