URGENT: There is an active spam attack happening to Polygon

Take a look at all of the blocks coming in https://polygonscan.com/blocks

Every block is pretty much 100% full. Now click in on one of the blocks, and look at the transactions, for example: Polygon Transactions Information | PolygonScan

Now see that almost every transaction is a send to self transaction. Now click into one of those transactions and you see that they are sending themselves 0 matic, and just paying gas, like this Polygon Transaction Hash (Txhash) Details | PolygonScan

These are not interacting with any contracts or doing anything like that. This is a DoS attack on the chain. It has been ongoing for a while now.

also worried about this. How can we solve this? I also commented on proposal to implement EIP-1559, which, to my knowledge would lower the gas fees even more.
EIP-1559 on Polygon

It would be nice to have some official response from devs. In my understanding there is nothing that can be done about this. People have to pay higher gas price than the spammer and this will eventually drive transaction cost up.

Probably the best thing that can be done against this is voting yes for EIP-1559 implementation on Matic: EIP-1559 on Polygon

Is there anything else that can be done? I doubt it. Remove the incentive.