Title: SEO Improvement Proposal (SIP)
Created: Wednesday 15th, May 2023
Table of contents
- Current stats
- Strategies to improve SEO
Taking the current stats of SEO into consideration, This proposal outlines an SEO Improvement proposal (SIP) where I will discuss the current SEO stats, strategies to improve SEO, metrics to track, keywords to target along with volumes, timelines & what exactly we’re missing in the blog.
I think we did great work in branding with polygon.technology, youtube/instragram videos around it & events/hackathons, but I am very sad to see such a big company not putting efforts into SEO. I am assuming the Ethereum audience is the ideal one for Polygon too because Ethereum sucks in gas fees, so people seek the alternative l2s & sidechains to explore the financial opportunities in the world of web3.
So, Ethereum generates 100% organic traffic which is mind-blowing & they introduced a blog around 2019 to focus on the SEO & they literally started ranking for over 72k organic keywords in less than 3 years & generates over 100k organic clicks from the content.
Here’re the top-ranked keywords from Ethereum
Whereas polygon.technology only rank for 14k keywords with an estimated 1800 clicks & lost over ranking for 6.9k keywords
Some of the top-ranked keywords from Polygon
So being a tech company driven by the community, which doesn’t solve the user search intent is a big red flag according to me
- We have a polygon blog but there aren’t many readers this can be changed with a few tweaks, lets’s first look at the current stats of the blog
→ Number of backlinks: 77
→ Number of referring domains: 65
But this trend of Domain authority of these referring domains is decreasing, I meant the number of referring domains with low low Domain authority is greater
→ According to the similar web we’ve over 2.1M traffic this month but we overall have only 17.2k clicks & 14k keywords ranked which is not a great metric
Strategies to improve SEO
- Make a list of all the keywords we want to rank for & check how difficult it’s to rank for those keywords
- Start focusing on incorporating those keywords in the articles which we publish
- Link building journey should be always happening like look at the way MakerDAO gets free publicity for pushing any new feature
- Optimise the SEO on-page like using the met tags & all
- Focus on building SEO-optimized content rather than just shipping the content
- If we’re building the narrative around “zk” then why aren’t we targeting more keywords around this? So volume around Zkevm is very less but these are a very niche audience, also a good thing is we’re ranking on the first page for the “Zkevm” keyword.
- Generate more backlinks from good authority websites
Just a heads up:
I am writing this post assuming that we are getting most of the traffic from the USA, I used ubersuggest & spyfu for the research