PIP-30: Increase Max Code Size Limit to 32KB

PIP-30: Increase Max Code Size Limit to 32KB

Authors: Mudit Gupta, David Silverman (@oneski22)

Type: Contracts

Table of Contents:

• Abstract
  • Motivation
  • Implementation
  • Backward Compatibility
  • Security Considerations
  • References
  • Copyright

Abstract

This PIP proposes increasing the MAX_CODE_SIZE Limit set in EIP-170 from 0x6000 (2**14+2**13) to 0x8000 (2**15).

Motivation

The author proposes raising the limit to 0x8000 to allow for the deployment of more complex contracts without needing to resort to alternative development patterns.

Specification

At block FORK_BLKNUM, the MAX_CODE_SIZE limit changes from 0x6000 bytes to 0x8000 bytes. If contract creation initialization returns data with length of more than 0x8000 bytes, contract creation fails with an out of gas error.

Backward Compatibility

This change causes no identifiable backward incompatibilities.

Security Considerations

Added in the Spurious Dragon Ethereum Hard Fork, MAX_CODE_SIZE was introduced to cap an attack vector where a quadratic action, O(n) of reading code from disk, was charged a constant gas. At the time the limit 0x6000 was set as there were no contracts of that size. Since that time, contracts have gotten more complex and frequently brush up against that limit, leading to the need to use various different methods of reducing contract size, some of which can introduce vulnerabilities.

Storage mediums have gotten faster since this limit was introduced so fetching large data is easier. Furthermore, 32KB fits perfectly in two 16 KB I/O blocks or a single 32 KB I/O block.

References

Copyright

All copyrights and related rights in this work are waived under CC0 1.0 Universal.

4 Likes

Makes sense logically, would be nice to have a Polygon PoS V1 network engineer explain the technical ramifications of the change (if any). :+1:

2 Likes

I vote YES because it can improve the user experience.

Strong contender for greatest PIP of all time.

With the max code size being increased, will the block gaslimit be increased from 30 million?
Changing code size could hurt block utilization and gas costs.

I personally hit this limit a few times when coding contacts, and I would have liked to have more space.

But it also forced me to write shorter code and to factorize it on multiple contracts or structures like the eip diamond.

I think my code is better because of this and might have gotten too complex if written on just one contract.

I also wonder if this is like that highway theory where if you increase road capacity you get more traffic with same congestion as before. Which would means we would hit the size limit again and ask for bigger contract again.

In short, idk what to think of this proposal ^^