Nominations for the Community Treasury Board

Hey everyone,

One of the key features introduced in the tokenomics whitepaper and further elaborated on in today’s Governance 2.0 vision is the Community Treasury, an in-protocol fund governed by and for the community. This treasury is designed to provide ongoing economic support for the development and growth of the Polygon ecosystem.

All community members are invited to participate in the ongoing roadmap, particularly those who strongly believe in the importance of public goods and ecosystem development. To this end, please apply or nominate individuals to be part of the inaugural community board. We believe they will contribute to the continued success and growth of Polygon.

The initial composition of this board will play a crucial role in realizing Polygon 2.0’s vision for the Community Treasury, capable of efficiently and securely serving the broader community.

Looking forward to your participation and support! :purple_heart:

Please make sure that you are using the right forms for self-nominations and nominations of others.

For Self-nomination

1. Personal information:

• Name (organization or individual):

• Wallet Address or ENS:

2. Background and Experience:

• Briefly describe your background and experience in the Ethereum, Polygon, or wider Web3 ecosystem.

• Have you previously contributed to the Polygon ecosystem or similar? If yes, please provide details.

• Have you previously engaged with ecosystem funding or public goods funding initiatives? If yes, please provide details.

3. Motivation:

• Why are you interested in becoming a Community Treasury board member for the Polygon Community Treasury?

• How do you envision contributing to the board’s mission of ensuring the longevity of Polygon technologies and the ecosystem?

4. Skills and Expertise:

• Please list any specific skills, expertise, or areas of knowledge that you believe would be valuable in supporting the board’s initiatives.

• Are there any particular domains within the Polygon ecosystem where you have specialized knowledge?

5. Commitment and Availability:

• How much time and effort are you willing to commit to your role as a board member?

• Are you available for regular meetings or discussions related to board activities?

6. Contributions and Ideas:

• What specific contributions or ideas do you have to offer in terms of ecosystem grants or public goods funding?

• Can you provide examples of projects or initiatives that you believe deserve support from the board?

For Nominating others

1. Nominee’s Information:

• Wallet Address or ENS:

Your Information (Nominator):

• Wallet Address or ENS:

2. Nominee Background and Experience:

• Briefly describe the nominee’s background and experience in the Ethereum, Polygon, or wider Web3 ecosystem.

• Has the nominee previously contributed to the Polygon ecosystem or similar? If yes, please provide details.

3. Nominee’s Motivation:

• What do you believe makes the nominee a suitable candidate for becoming a board member for the Polygon Community Treasury?

• How do you think the nominee can contribute to the board’s mission of ensuring the longevity of Polygon technologies and Ecosystem?

4. Nominee’s Contributions and Ideas:

• What specific contributions or ideas do you think the nominee can offer in terms of ecosystem grants or public goods funding?

• Can you provide examples of projects or initiatives that you believe the nominee would support or promote if selected as a board member?

5. Additional information:

Is there any additional information you would like to share about the nominee that you believe is relevant to their nomination?

8 Likes

[Application for Self-nomination]

1. Personal information:

• Name (individual): 100y (Twitter: @100y_eth)
  • Wallet Address or ENS: 100y.eth

• Briefly describe your background and experience in the Ethereum, Polygon, or wider Web3 ecosystem:

• Have you previously contributed to the Polygon ecosystem or similar? If yes, please provide details:

I’m co-founder and publishing lead of the recently founded research firm ‘Four Pillars’, and I’m also a member of ‘Decipher’ which is a blockchain research group based on Seoul Nat’l University. Basically, I’m a blockchain researcher mainly interested in Ethereum and Polygon ecosystem (you can see my previous articles in my Medium). I have a large crypto audience base in South Korea commnuity, running various social media channels including Twitter, Telegram, Medium, and more.

I’ve written a lot of blockchain research articles related to Polygon both in Korean and English so that a lot of users can know and understand of Polygon and its modular future, especially in Korean communities. Below links are the examples.
o Polygon, the Front Runner of Modular Blockchain Future (69min)
o Polygon 2.0: A New Blueprint for Mass Adoption (11 min)
o Polygon zkEVM Ecosystem: Slow but Steady (14 min)
o Polygon Ecosystem Roundup (July, 2023) (5 min)

• Have you previously engaged with ecosystem funding or public goods funding initiatives? If yes, please provide details: No.

3. Motivation:

• Why are you interested in becoming a Community Treasury board member for the Polygon Community Treasury?

• How do you envision contributing to the board’s mission of ensuring the longevity of Polygon technologies and the ecosystem?

As a believer of blockchain’s modular future and mass adoption, I’ve been always thinking that Polygon is the most suitable ecosystem to achieve it, which is why I want to contribute to the sustainability of Polygon ecosystem. I think for ensuring the longevity of Polygon technologies and the ecosystem, It’s most important to effectively utilize the community treasury in the most appropriate places, to onboard and support services suitable for mass adoption, and to ensure that the network can be sustained solely with transaction fees.

4. Skills and Expertise:

• Please list any specific skills, expertise, or areas of knowledge that you believe would be valuable in supporting the board’s initiatives.
  • Are there any particular domains within the Polygon ecosystem where you have specialized knowledge?

Since I’m researcher and have many followers especially in South Korea, I can support board’s initiatives by spreading governance activities to Korean community. In Polygon ecosystem, I’m interested in modular blockchain system in particular, and I can proudly say that I’m one of the first researchers who spread modular blockchain and Polygon’s vision to Korean community.

• How much time and effort are you willing to commit to your role as a board member?

I, as a researcher of Four Pillars, have been already supported by Polygon community to write some articles related to Polygon ecosystem, including monthly Polygon report. Therefore, since I’m already engaged in such activities, following up on the Polygon ecosystem will not be difficult.

• Are you available for regular meetings or discussions related to board activities?

Depending on the time zone.

• What specific contributions or ideas do you have to offer in terms of ecosystem grants or public goods funding?

I can check the sentiment of the Korean community regarding ecosystem grants and public good funding activities and relay it to the board. I can also explain the board’s activities in a way that the general Korean community users can easily understand.

• Can you provide examples of projects or initiatives that you believe deserve support from the board?

While onboarding Web3-native projects is important, it’s even more crucial to create an ecosystem where web2 users can be onboarded. Services like Reddit seem to be the most appropriate example. It’s also very important to support development tools or SDKs that allow web2 services, like Reddit, to easily integrate with the blockchain.

1 Like

Find my answers inline here. Thanks @gioser for taking this up, this seems like an interesting step

2 Likes

For Self-nomination

1. Personal information:

• Name (organization or individual): L2BEAT (l2beat.com)
  • Wallet Address or ENS: delegate.l2beat.eth

• Briefly describe your background and experience in the Ethereum, Polygon, or wider Web3 ecosystem.

L2BEAT is an independent, public goods company who acts as an impartial watchdog for the Ethereum Layer2 ecosystem. Our mission is to provide comprehensive and unbiased analysis and comparative evaluations of Layer 2 solutions . We are committed to the verification and fact-checking of the claims made by each project, with a special focus on the security aspects. What sets L2BEAT apart is our unwavering commitment to delivering accurate and reliable information.

We are Ethereum focused and we consider ourselves stewards of the Ethereum ecosystem.

In addition, L2BEAT has a governance team which actively participates in constructive discussions of specific protocol challenges and issues, fostering the discourse toward increasingly permissionless, open source, and trustless systems. Our participation in various DAOs and public debates reflects this commitment.

• Have you previously contributed to the Polygon ecosystem or similar? If yes, please provide details.

We have covered Polygon zkEVM on L2BEAT, analyzed the contracts, and set up monitoring. We have also worked with Polygon team in the past on several occasions, one of the examples being recently published report funded by Polygon Labs on the Upgradeability of Ethereum L2s.

• Have you previously engaged with ecosystem funding or public goods funding initiatives? If yes, please provide details.

As L2BEAT, we’re actively involved with multiple initiatives for public goods funding, including being on the Grants Council on Optimism, and helping facilitate the discussion around and eventually the creation of 2 grants programs on Arbitrum.

L2BEAT itself is a public goods company funded by grants, so we have been on the receiving end of public goods funding too. On top of that, kaereste, a member of our governance team also has extensive experience with public goods funding in the web2 world.

3. Motivation:

Our mission is to protect the interests of the Ethereum community and uphold our shared values. Together, we can lead the L2 ecosystem towards a safer, more secure decentralized future. With our participation in the board, we aim to help with the most efficient use of the Community Treasury’s funds to achieve highest level of impact.

We have a team dedicated to governance issues, which will be available to discuss and work on crucial matters regarding the board’s activity and the overall happenings in the forums and community. We’ll also be hosting office hours so we can serve as a proxy between the community and the board.

Our experience with the Grants Council on Optimism can help the board with meaningful insights into how to best approach the board’s responsibilities and potential mistakes to avoid.

4. Skills and Expertise:

Both members of our governance team (@kaereste and @Sinkas) have extensive knowledge and experience in the broader web3 ecosystem, on both technical and non-technical fronts.

As far as our DAO experience is concerned, we served on several grant committees and helped organise the work of the DAOs we’re involved with (currently Optimism, Arbitrum, Uniswap, and Hop).

It’s worth noting that on Arbitrum, we’re among the top and most active delegates, and we’re the hosts of the monthly governance call.

On Optimism, we attend all governance-related calls and engage with all important discussions in the ecosystem.

As L2BEAT we consider ourselves experts on Ethereum scaling solutions. We have a deep technical understanding of underlying protocols and a broad overview of available solutions. We’ve spent hours understanding the code, documentation and on-chain data of every project listed on our website.

Having served on Optimism grants council, we recognise that the amount necessary for executing on our responsibilities is not insignificant and can oftentimes vary greatly between weeks or seasons. However, we’re willing to commit as much time as necessary to ensure the smooth execution of our duties and responsibilities as part of the board.

We’re able to attend regular meetings and discussions related to the board activities, given convenient times and dates are agreed on, taking into account the timezone differences of the board members, if any. We’re currently on UTC timezone.

As part of our participation in the broader Polygon community, we’ve also set up recurring L2BEAT Office Hours for the Polygon community, which take place every Friday at 3PM UTC: meet.google.com/twm-jafw-esn

One idea we would like to promote within the ecosystem grants and public goods funding in the Polygon ecosystem is a bootstrapping/acceleration program for builders that would help them turn an idea into a working, self-sustaining dApp/tool/product/service/etc. There are a lot of passionate people in the space and it just needs some advice and guidance from more experienced builders, we believe Polygon has plenty of both and a program to facilitate collaboration could prove to be very productive.

• A web3, decentralised, acceleration program
    • Framework to create small task forces to tackle specific problems
    • Experimentation with PWAs with simple UX for mass adoption
2 Likes

Hello community and thanks for this opportunity.
This is the self-nomination application

1. Personal information:

My crypto journey began in 2017. I have an extensive experience in leading country/region level communities, event management (organized more than 50 events like meetups, workshops, hackathons, lectures and educated more than thousand of people) and BD (established more than hundred partnerships and use cases related to web3).
I have also expertise as Board Member of the NEM Foundation where I was elected through direct on-chain community voting. In this role I also served as the leader for special projects (procurement program, ambassador program, market making, relations with exchanges) and business development leader in the CIS region.
Since 2021, I have been involved in consulting crypto startups and local businesses on blockchain technology integration, delivering educational lectures, and mentoring at hackathons.

Yes, mostly on community and BD side. I was NEM Ukraine Leader, built local team and because of our community building and partnership building efforts in a year NEM overcome Ethereum in popularity. Among some of notable cases is Trial with Ukraine Central Election Commission

I’ve been one of the Trustees of NEM Community and Development Fund with purpose to support ecosystem projects and initiatives, creator of the first crypto charity project in Ukraine, wrote a children book about cryptocurrencies, also I’m an investment expert for the biggest governmental fund for support startups in Ukraine and mentor in UNICEF program that fosters the development of business skills among young people.

3. Motivation:

In short, this is interesting for me. More specifically, it’s outstanding opportunity to provide impact on a large scale for web3 future while realize and grow my skills and expertise.

It really depends on specific goals we want to reach. As serial entrepreneur I’m good in strategic planning and building business process, so I’d love to ensure that the Board is really effective body and fully focused on objectives that contribute to Polygon success.

4. Skills and Expertise:

Strategic planning, deep understanding of market trends and sentiment, versatile BD and marketing experience, master’s degree in management, wide network, experience in working and assessing startups

If the role is voluntary, I’m ok to devote up to 10 hours/week, in case of paid position it could be full-time.

Sure, would love to participate and exchange thoughts and ideas

I strongly believe that future of web3 adoption is in integration with real world. Over almost 7 years of my dive in crypto I had numerous conversations with real world business owners/CEOs/innovation directors/etc who are looking for possible blockchain implementation into their business processes or in form of experiment and can say that in most cases they are not going forward because of lack of funding due to corporate specifics. If we provide grants and meaningful support for corporate implementation teams it could help them to make a first step into web3, in turn we get valuable feedback and use cases with big companies from real business.

I actually have a list of them, but not ready to share it publicly. But again, I believe, that any project or initiative that gets support from the Treasury MUST be strictly aligned with objectives and goals set.

Hope I’ve covered all the aspects and was able to convey my vision. Happy and open to further discussion with any of the forum community member.
Cheers :slightly_smiling_face: