Mapping already existing token

Hi! I am new to the project and I am on the task to create a Matic token for our ERC20 Ethereum token. Based on documentation I must request a Mapping to you and you do the magic. Is that how it works?

Can I map an ERC20 existing token (with lots of transactions already made) to Matic or it needs to be a new token on Ethereum too?

Is there a way to keep previous Ethereum token “history”?

Thanks in advance!!
Juan

Hey @juancc,

1. Yes, you can request and read more about the ‘magic’ :mage:t3:‍♂ here: https://docs.matic.network/docs/develop/advanced/mapping-assets

2. mapped token on matic does not take into account the parent chain’s transaction history, so mapping your existing token shouldn’t be a problem

3. In what sense would you like to keep the history? would need more context on the use case here!

Thanks @angela!

1.- I’ve been through that documentation already but I couldn’t find my case/question explained there. The documentation talks about deploying both contract Mainnet ERC20 and Matic ERC20, mine is already deployed on Mainnet and we just want to create its Matic counterpart.

2.- ok.

3.- Let’s say I have an ERC20 deployed on Mainnet that has already been distributed among users. Later on, I create a Matic mapped token (which I assume is in sync with Mainnet). I’d like to avoid: having issues with token total supply and redistributing the new (Matic) token among current holders. But let me ask some questions that may answer this point:

Q1: Total Supply: As soon as I create a Matic mapped token ALL tx MUST go through this token (Matic mapped token) or I can also send tokens on Ethereum Mainnet? Basically I’d like to know if synchronization is bidirectional, any state change made on Matic -> gets reflected on Ethereum & any state change on Ethereum -> gets reflected on Matic). Or only works from Matic -> to Ethereum Mainnet?

Q2: Where can I read about how your mapping process works at a low level? how it’s implemented basically? In the documentation says “Request for mapping” but then I lose track of what happens so I’d like to know what’s going on under the surface to check if that mechanism would work in our case.